As our small group continues it’s study through examination of Haibane Renmei, I’ll continue to post discussion updates here on Beneath the Tangles. We had a full house again this week as delved into episodes two and three of the series. Unfortunately, some audio problems made discussion difficult, but the participants still had many interesting things to note. Here are some highlights:
- We shared whether we would act differently if our faith was more visible, similar to how the haibane are obviously known as such because of their wings and halos
- We brought up several possibilities of why it’s significant that the haibane don’t remember their pasts
- We reflected on whether we would find contentment in a place like Glie.
- We discussed how the townspeople see the haibane, whether with respect and love or as something apart (or perhaps even as “good luck charms”)
- We wondered about the place of mentorship in the modern world and whether anime fans might find this old-fashioned idea more acceptable because of the idea of the sempai. We also shared our personal mentorship programs and relationships.
As usual, we also shared how our weeks went and gave our prayer requests. We’ll continue to meet each week during the summer, with a few exceptions. If you’re interested in joining, please leave some sort of contact information below and I’ll get back to you with further details. We hope to see you sometime!