This week on the TangleCast, Matthew of Team Anchester brings on a familiar guest and podcast contributor, Alex. Together, they try grappling with the controversial topics of sexual content in anime, what Scripture says about it, and what that means for Christians. Where is the line when it comes to sexual humor? Is there even a firm answer to be had? We discuss these questions and more in this episode of the TangleCast!
2:02 Last week’s Cast Question
7:27 Aside for non-anime fans
8:20 Anime and Sexuality Discussion—Intro
10:36 Discussion—Supply and demand for sexual content
17:24 Discussion—Can sexual humor be glorious?
26:11 Discussion—What makes us laugh
34:30 Discussion—Perverse humor and tropes in anime and the anime community
47:09 Discussion—Consuming sexual tropes and how it affects us
55:52 Discussion—How to be different in the culture
01:03:53 New Cast Question and Closing
And we want your feedback as well! Each week we’ll ask a question on the podcast and feature your answers the next time that team rolls around. Here’s this week’s CQ (Cast Question): What is one series about which you can say, the story was so enjoyable you overlooked the “fan service?”
- Check out Alex’s Twitter and blog!
- Here’s the article Matthew referenced in which he and many of our staff wrote about violence and sex in anime
- Suda51 explains that he was directed to include “Gigolo Mode” in one of his games
- Wikipedia article on the concepts of honne and tatemae
- Textual citations of God laughing: Psalm 2, Psalm 59, Psalm 37
- The scriptural namesake of the podcast: Philippians 3:19
- Proverbs 31:25
- Digibro video: “WEIRD ANIME SEX! (and why it’s okay)” (NSFW Warning)