For week three of our Haibane Renmei small group study, we delved into episodes four and five of the series. In episode four, Rakka joins Kana at her job in the clock tower, while in episode four she spends time with Nemu in the library. The latter episode, especially, contained some of the more obvious connections to Christianity in the series.
Here are some of the highlights of our discussion:
- The creation story in Nemu’s book shared similarities to the Christian one, particularly in the first few lines.
- The God in “The Beginning of the World” shares some similarities to the Christian God, particularly in terms of mercy and power; on the other hand, dissimilarities included laziness and ability to make mistakes
- We discussed Kana’s conclusion that the crows need to become less dependent on humans, while we, too, must become less dependent on our own comfort zones.
- The group reflected on which senior haibane each of us most closely associated with.
- We discussed how, because of the structure created by the haibane renmei and the townsfolk, the haibane must lived by faith, and how Old Home compared to some real life institutions in this aspect (ex. monasteries and dormitories).
We also discussed a number of other topics and shared about our weeks. If you’re interested in possibly joining us sometime during this summer, leave a comment below, entering your email when prompted.