Live from Dallas, it’s the TangleCast! That’s right, we packed up our equipment and went down the road to A-Kon 30 from Fair Park, the annual site of Texas’ state fair, and recorded this episode from the grounds. Twwk joins us for this special episode, where our focus is the convention and all things cosplay! We sat down with popular cosplayer, Phil Mizuno, and chatted about why he loves the cosplay community and how he’s turned a hobby into a profession, and also invited a number of cosplayers at A-Kon to comment on what they see as challenges in the culture. And not to be out down, our own Holly talks about her first experience cosplaying, as Raphtalia from The Rising of the Shield Hero.
1:51 Holly v. Charles
4:50 Last week’s Cast Question
9:06 New Cast Question
12:50 Grab Bag Gratitude
17:25 Cosplay and A-Kon—Cosplay Dictionary
22:55 Discussion—Phil Mizuno Interview
42:38 Discussion—Holly cosplays Raphtalia
51:10 Discussion—Cosplay concerns and challenges
54:39 Discussion—What to do at A-Kon and closing thoughts
And we want your feedback as well! Each week we ask a question on the podcast and feature your answers the next time that team rolls around. Here’s this week’s CQ (Cast Question): Is cosplay more fandom or fashion? While it obviously crosses over both, we want to know if you think it’s really more related to anime, manga, geekdom, and comics or to fashion, design, and modeling.
- This week’s opening bite is in Japanese—a first for us! In case you didn’t catch it, that was Nobuhiko Okamoto, the voice of Bakugou, encouraging you to listen to the podcast. Here’s an interview we did with him just a couple of weeks ago.
- The Okamoto bite is perfect for a podcast featuring Phil Mizuno, who was cosplaying Bakugou during our interview! In the course of our time together, we also mentioned his Lancer (Fate/stay night), Beast (Beauty and the Beast), and Kiba (Naruto) cosplays. By the way, in addition to Phil’s Instagram account, we encourage you to check out his Facebook and Twitter accounts, as well!
- Thanks to all the cosplayers that took time out of their convention to record with us! Please check out their accounts on Instagram:
- Interested in seeing Holly’s Raphtalia? Here are some shots from a pre-con photo shoot, and a beautiful photo taken during the convention (we swear it wasn’t out of some fairy tale land!). The featured photograph above was taken by @xrphotographic.
- Thanks again to Tyler for helping fund Holly’s first cosplay! By the way, Tyler has written a couple guest articles for us, including this recent one on Mononoke and unborn children.
- A Silent Voice is now on Netflix, and so is Kim’s Convenience. Hinamatsuri can be streamed on Crunchyroll.
- We took a number of definitions for our cosplay dictionary segment from this page. And if you’re like us and want to know more about the yaoi paddle, check out this excellent video about that con prop.
Mixed and produced by David, and featuring music by Celotron (all rights reserved).