We have a treat for you on today’s TangleCast episode! As part of yearlong celebration of Beneath the Tangles’ tenth year, we brought back some of the original voices of the podcast, including its founder, Japes! He’s joined today by Casey, Kaze, and R86 as they share how anime has changed the direction of their lives. Not just a hobby for these four, anime has helped them see the world differently, affecting them in personal and spiritual ways, and for most of the group, has also put them on specific schooling and career paths. Join the guest crew on this special throwback episode! (Warning: Check out the time stamp below to skip a short spoiler on Fruits Basket!)
2:18 The OG Crew
20:01 Kill Your Babies
29:20 Fruits Basket Spoilers!
30:00 Spoilers end
33:13 Anime and the course of life—Professional path
45:57 Discussion—Personal and spiritual paths
- Follow Japes, Casey, Kaze, and R86 on Twitter!
- If you want to hear a bit more about Japes and Kaze’s tenure leading the site, along with Lex, check out our recent TBT interview on the topic.
- As Casey mentioned, she worked on a manga column for us. Now, she’s working for Figurama, feeding her obsession with anime figures.
- Casey also writes for other outlets and has contributed to the geek devotional, Area of Effect (as has Twwk).
- Wnat to know more about Kaze and Nana? Check out his articles on her. You can also see Kaze’s other writing on his blog, Nanaca Sakura.
- Yep, R86 loves Saint Seiya (and Fruits Basket, too).
You can check us out on a variety of formats, including iTunes, Spotify, SoundCloud, and other platforms! Please subscribe and leave us a review!
Featuring music by Celotron and David, and mixed by Chris (all rights reserved).
- AniMarch Madness 2023: Final Four - 03.27.2023
- AniMarch Madness 2023: The Final Four is Set - 03.24.2023
- AniMarch Madness 2023: Elite Eight - 03.23.2023
2 thoughts on “TangleCast 79: The Throwback Episode”
Great podcast! I enjoyed hearing everyone again. Thanks to you all for sharing your experiences 🙂
Wow. It’s so great to hear from you all again! It’s quite a blast from the past. I still remember your voice, Japes. I loved those initial podcasts, and I enjoyed your vlog style when you went to Japan. Japes, Casey, Kaze, R86, it was fantastic to see you all here as well. It’s still weird to me how massively this site has grown and prospered under God’s blessing. I always enjoyed those Ask Sensei columns, Jack. You answered a lot of my questions on that, and I really appreciated it. This discussion was fantastic. I’m glad to hear all of your stories and perspectives again. I wish I could see you all around more often than I get to. I’ll be praying for you all!