NCAA March Madness, in a normal 2020, would have made it through its first two rounds last week. But in the absence of basketball, our own March Madness tourney has taken up the slack, and I gotta say, it’s been an exciting ride as well! Here are the results of last week’s quarterfinal round:
(1) My Hero Academia def. (2) Attack on Titan, 809-487
(6) Kimi ni Todoke def. (4) Steins;gate, 298-189
Kakegurui (unseeded) def. Oregairu (unseeded), 229-208
(1) Demon Slayer def. (2) The Promised Neverland, 367-157
The first match obviously generated the most interest. While number one overall seed My Hero Academia won by quite a margin, Attack on Titan continued its best-ever showing in the tournament by outscoring all other anime in this round except for MHA. A bitter goodbye for Eren and the gang, but they went out with a bang (or bite). Demon Slayer, the series that I think would be moving the needle in Las Vegas if they were taking bets, also won its match handily against a series that was similar in both shock value and quality. Meanwhile, Kakegurui moved on in the unseeded bracket by narrowly defeating Oregairu in the week’s only close match, while the Cinderella of the tournament, Kimi ni Todoke, withstood the time traveling scientists of Steins;gate.
Shounen / Popular Region: My Hero Academia
Critical Darlings Region: Kimi ni Todoke
Staff Favorites Region: Kakegurui
2019 Anime Region: Demon Slayer
Demon Slayer matches up against Kakegurui on Wednesday, but today you can vote on the first match of the final four!
- First Impression: A Playthrough of a Certain Dude’s VRMMO Life - 10.02.2023
- First Impression: The Family Circumstances of the Irregular Witch - 10.02.2023
- First Impression: Berserk of Gluttony - 10.01.2023