We’re less than a week out from Valentine’s Day which might not be everyone’s favorite holiday, but anime certainly loves it with vigor. Paris, Tyler, and Twwk (sitting in for Mike) explore love—including agape love—in Darling in the Franxx, A Silent Voice, and Clannad, and chat about other series for those who love Valentine’s Day (and those who don’t!).
0:00 Introduction and prayers for Mike
3:49 Favorite anime for Valentine’s Day
16:12 Non-romance anime to watch on Valentine’s Day
19:19 Valentine’s Day in Japan and types of love
20:54 Agape Anime
20:59 Discussion—Darling in the Franxx
33:31 Discussion—various anime and A Silent Voice
- What better way to begin a Valentine’s Day episode than with…Scar? Yep, that J. Michael Tatum as everyone’s favorite Ishvalan!
- Get your tickets for Kaguya-sama: Love is War – The Kiss That Never Ends!
- Need a primer on eros, phileo, and agape love? Read MDRMN’s article on those loves expressed in Yuri on Ice.
- Speaking of eros, stardf29 wrote about this kind of love in Domestic Girlfriend.
- There’s a fourth love, too—storge. On Facebook, we’ve been discussing all four this month through different anime series. Check it out and follow us there!
- Does Valentine’s Day bring you down? We get you.
- We’ve dug into Darling in the Franxx a couple of times previously, and Paris has cosplayed 002!
- A Silent Voice is also an oft-covered series here on Beneath the Tangles, a powerful movie that among other topics, focuses on depression, bullying, and suicide.
- We’ve done deeper dives into Tomoya’s struggles and forgiveness of his dad on our blog before.
- Bible verses we mentioned or referred to in this episode include Psalms 119:12 and James 1:27.
- Check out all the other things that Mike, Paris, Tyler, and Dennis (our editor and the fourth member of the Tangle x Cast team) are doing.
Featuring music by Celotron (all rights reserved) and edited by Dennis.